Thursday, June 4, 2015

You've Got Mail

Nothing like getting real mail, especially when it is art.  I used to participate a lot more when I had free time - when I was home with babies and could sit at the kitchen table and stamp and paste.  That was about the same time that our computer treated us to the phrase 'you've got mail' as we became addicted to the ability to communicate quickly and globally.  AOL is where I connected with other creative people around the US who exchanged mail art and had virtual groups and gatherings to facilitate the exchanges.  It was such a special and rewarding concept.




While it is so very tempting to sign up for the many swaps and exchanges that are so popular on blogs, Flickr and Instagram, I restrain myself from committing to projects that may overload me.  One swap that I have continued to participate in is the iHanna Postcard Swap.  I created 10 art postcards (above photo) and sent them to recipients around the world.  In the last week I have begun to receive wonderful pieces of art in my mailbox.  For me it is a manageable commitment that is enjoyment all the way around.

I also signed on to do a one time, one-on-one swap through the Artstronauts Facebook group.  I exchanged an art piece along with some ephemera with a like minded journal artist.  We decided to do a second swap and made journals for each other.  I absolutely adore what Laney made for me! A custom fabric journal holder with a hand painted and bound journal inside.  Love. 




I created a small version of a Curious Bundle journal (an online class that I took from Susie La Fond.  More information about that in another post.)  I truly enjoyed creating and exchanging and hope to do more down the road.  
creating something every day,
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment