Friday, January 31, 2014

Documented Life - Week 3

I am late posting the week three challenge - using an envelope from our mail on our page.  This was a fun and easy task, as I used to enjoy participating in mail art exchanges and challenges.  I had lots of ideas for embellishing and altering envelopes.  
I made my page two sided, using an envelope from the days mail and trimming it down to fit in my planner.  I decided to keep the outer edge open to use it to store other papers and such if I choose.  This side was painted and doodled with circles and dots and paper scraps were glued on.  The flower was drawn on the inside of a security envelope and colored with copics and cut out.  (This was one of the lessons in last years' online workshop 21 Secrets.)  Inside peeking out the window is an image from a stamp I carved of a basset hound (I own 2!)
This side was printed using my Gelli Plate (love it) and collaged with more bits of papers and a few more colored envelope doodle cutouts.  I affixed another envelope  - from a Starbucks gift card - that can also be used.  I tend to reach for the same color palette, don't I?  Blues, pinks, oranges - anything bright and cheerful.  I should challenge myself to do a very neutral piece some day.  Or maybe not.  When I do my pages - whether in this planner or other art journal - I just go! I  Intuitively grab paints, markers, collage elements, and any thoughts that I want to convey usually just come to me if I am to journal.  I am not an artist by trade and often have to follow written patterns when I am making samples or teaching in my quilt shop.  The art journaling is freeing and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment